You Thought Being A Realtor Was Going To Be A Walk in the Park?
While it is still unseasonably warm for October (at least here in North Myrtle Beach, SC) it still is the start of fall. Leaves changing colors, cooler temps, and I am reminded (not really anymore since living at the beach for half my life) but growing up with a fall jacket for the brisk mornings. It was a time to walk outside, enjoy nature, kick some leaves on the ground, grab a light sweater, and just take it all in. I think many people when they think (or actually do) get into real estate for a career, they think most of it may be a walk in the park, so to speak. While their are lots of benefits to a career in real estate, “easy” is not one of them.
When you start your real estate career, the National Association of Realtors estimates that 6 in 10 will fail in their first year and quit. another 1-2 will follow suit in their 2nd year. Getting past the 2 year mark is an important milestone in your real estate career. In addition, the average agent coming into real estate only completes 2 transactions their first year on average. Almost half only do 1. Making a quick buck or doing real estate as a “side-hustle” for most is not the best plan.
Here are some things i think you should remember when starting in real estate. YOU CAN MAKE IT – but your mindset going in has to be right and your patience has to be on point to succeed as a Realtor.
- Have some savings – most recommend 12 months. (or a very non-time consuming part time income that wont hinder your business)
- Consider teaming with an agent for your first 12-24 months – you get both an opportunity to learn and to not have the full weight of the cost of business as you get started
- Start planning and planting seeds ahead of time – gather everyone you know into email database – send letter as well – call/text touching base with friends/family and letting them know you are getting into real estate
- do FREE marketing and Social as much as possible! – you can out work someone and get Branding and Exposure without spending hardly any $$ – how hard are you willing to work?
- Join with a brokerage that has not only training, but good 1-to-1 support (plus maximizes your business growth) – you are now a business owner if you are a Realtor – time to build a business, not just be an employee
www.DiscoverEagleRealty.com – Career
www.Facebook.com/ChrisWardBIC – Chris Ward BIC Page
www.Instagram.com – @EagleRealtySC
www.Snapchat.com – @EagleRealtySC
Website – www.EagleRealtySC.com
@chriswardbic – Soundcloud